Humans utilize the healing power of touch instinctively. When we are in pain, we often reach up to rub the sore spot. When someone we care for is upset, we offer a compassionate pat or a gentle embrace. Massage therapists have the training to channel the healing power of touch in ways that benefit your health.
The Benefits of Massage Therapy
While massage therapy is not a replacement for chiropractic care, it can be a valuable component of your wellness plan. It helps you accomplish all of the following:
- Relax. A great way to relieve stress, massage can help you unwind and decompress.
- Stay limber. By loosening your muscles, massage helps you reduce restrictions in your range of motion and increase your flexibility.
- Improve your circulation. Better circulation helps pump more oxygen into your body’s tissues, promoting healing and encouraging wellness.
- Relieve headaches. Stress and muscle tension are common headache triggers. Massage reduces both, which means that it can help alleviate your headaches.
- Reduce pain. Massage spurs the body to release endorphins, morphine-like chemicals that are natural painkillers.
Types of Massage
Massage has been used to help people feel better for thousands of years, and a variety of techniques have developed in that time. At Loehr Chiropractic & Acupuncture, our licensed massage therapist specializes in:
- Swedish massage
- Deep tissue massage
- Precision Neuromuscular Therapy (NMT)
- Prenatal massage
Exploring Precision Neuromuscular Therapy
Precision Neuromuscular Therapy (NMT) is a soft-tissue massage therapy technique aimed at reducing trigger points to decrease pain, restore flexibility, and increase strength. This form of massage can help with a variety of painful conditions, including but not limited to sciatica, back pain, frozen shoulder, whiplash, and repetitive strain injuries like carpal tunnel syndrome.
The Benefits of Prenatal Massage
Prenatal massage can support the overall physical and emotional health of expectant mothers. We encourage you to consult with your doctor about what prenatal massage can do for you. According to the American Pregnancy Association, the potential benefits include the following:
- Improved hormone regulation
- Better sleep
- Reductions in swelling and edema
- Decreased muscle tension
- Reductions in headaches
- Improved circulation
- Reduced back and joint pain
- Improved oxygenation of soft tissues and muscles
- Decreased stress and anxiety
Society often conspires to try and make us feel guilty for taking some “me” time, but you cannot care for other people if you do not take care of yourself first. Contact Loehr Chiropractic & Acupuncture today to learn more about our massage therapy services and schedule your first appointment.