By: Mikayla Atchison
More than 2/3 of Americans over the age of 20 are considered overweight (Center for Disease Control) Much of this can be due to the busy-ness of the American lifestyle. Many do not have time or finances to visit a gym. Too often we use this as an excuse to fall into passivity. The thought of a weight loss program seems too difficult to traverse. There is one change within our daily rituals which can make a difference in our exercise regime without feeling like exercise. Walking!
Walk at Least 30 Minutes Each Day
According to the American Heart Association, research has shown that the benefits of walking and moderate physical activity for at least 30 minutes a day can help you:
- Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease
- Improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels
- Improve blood lipid profile
- Maintain body weight and lower the risk of obesity
- Enhance mental well being
- Reduce the risk of osteoporosis
- Reduce the risk of breast and colon cancer
- Reduce the risk of non-insulin dependent (type 2) diabetes
- Improve immune system
6 Tips to Add Steps to Your Daily Routine
Don’t have 30 extra minutes in a day? Here are some tips for some basic changes that will add some steps to your life.
- Park away from the door. Typically the prized parking places are as close to the door as possible. Parking towards the end of the lot can add a few extra steps a day.
- Take the stairs. Don’t have the stamina to go the whole way? Start at one floor a day. When you notice you’re no longer challenged by one flight, add another.
- During break time at work, walk around the building. Spending two 15 minute break times walking around a building will fulfill your goal of 30 minutes a day.
- Walk around the block or your neighborhood. Walk with your spouse, a friend, or your pet. Use it as a time to decompress from your day.
- If you are a mall shopper, try taking a lap around before you hit the sales racks.
- Instead of a date night at a restaurant, try a day date at a local nature center hiking.
Walking Has Helped Improve My Health
I did not want to be a part of another statistic so I chose to change. I took these steps to start a new road to a healthier life. I am no longer out of breath when I walk up a flight of stairs because I chose to make a small change in my daily routine. Because of these small steps I am now striving for bigger goals in my healthy lifestyle change. Walking was such a simple step that has had such a positive reward in my life. This doesn’t have to be my story, but it could be yours too. Small steps can make a significant change in your life. Starting a new routine of walking does not have to be difficult. Walking is free, always accessible and suitable for all ages and most abilities.
It is not always easy starting a new road to a healthier life style. Read How To Be Healthier in 5 Minutes now, or contact us today at Loehr Chiropractic to discover how we can help you reach your health goals.